7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2021 5:00 PM by Brent Martin

Seeking pension files for Andrew Potete

Brent Martin Wayfarer

I am doing genealogical research on Andrew Potete (alias Pertegue/Pertegus). He served in the Civil War USCT 101st, then US Infantry 38th/42nd. He received pensions, apparently as a Civil War veteran and then as an Indian War veteran and then as Army Invalid. He died in 1940. I've found various index cards related to these pensions. These files have a variety of numbers that I can't interpret, e.g. AC 672.463; XC 2570.681; application 811409; C2,570,681; and Indian Wars O.15.346 ??7,518.  I see information that military pension files are in different places, seemingly divided at 1917. I don't know where to look for Andrew's records. While this man has a fascinating history, I am most interested in getting his original pension application record. Where should I look for that record?  Thank you for any clarification you can provide.

• Re: Seeking pension files for Andrew Potete
          Susannah Brooks Tracker

The civil war pension file  should be at the National Archives in Washington DC or, if not,at least they should be able to tell you where the records might be. 

1 person found this helpful
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Martin,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Please email both the National Archives at Washington, DC (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov  and the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) at stl.archives@nara.gov to inquire about these files.  Please attach images of the pension index cards you have located to your request.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1 and RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Also, pension files may be in the custody of the Department of Veterans Affairs if they were still active in 1955 when the inactive files were transferred to the National Archives. Even though he  died in 1940, his file may have still been active if there was a surviving dependent collecting benefits.  If neither RDT1 nor RL-SL have these files, please file a FOIA request with the Department of Veterans Affairs.  Their FOIA website is https://www.va.gov/foia/

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful
              roy mills Newbie

Hi Brent,

Did you know that Andrew Potete attended the 1938 75th anniversary Gettysburg Reunion of the Blue and Gray? Even tho' he did not fight at the battle he would have been one of only a mere handful of USCT veterans who were there.

He is listed on the roster as living in Kansas City MO. His personal history is a varied one in both Kansas and Oklahoma -but he lived a very full life!

best

Roy

2 people found this helpful