3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2020 10:25 AM by Legislative Archives

Seeking outcome of 116th Congress Bill H R 631

Alice Lane Pioneer

I am seeking the outcome of 116th Congress Bill H R 631 dated Sept 2019 introduced by Byrne. H. Res. 631: Directing the Committee on Foreign Affairs, the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, and the Committee on Financial Services to begin investigations regarding certain business dealings of Robert Hunter Biden

• Re: Seeking outcome of 116th Congress Bill H R 631
          Legislative Archives Scout

Hello Alice -- thanks for posting on History Hub!

The official website for U.S. federal legislative information is Congress.gov. It's presented by the Library of Congress using data from the Office of the Clerk of the House and the Secretary of the Senate.

According to Congress.gov, H.Res.631 of the 116th Congress was introduced on Oct. 15, 2019 and then referred to the House Committee on Rules. I don't see that further action has been taken on the resolution.

Cheers!

Sarah

1 person found this helpful
              Alice Lane Pioneer

Thanks for your reply,

I would like to know more about the Legislative process and what happens to bills like this, are they completely forgotten and never resolved and put in a drawer somewhere to collect dust. I mean, it has been over a year now since it was presented. Is it still open or closed? Can you help?

Alice Lane

Legislative Archives Scout

Hi Alice --

To learn more about the legislative process, I can recommend How Our Laws Are Made -- a publication prepared by the Parliamentarian of the U.S. House of Representatives. It's part of a larger section on how to Learn About the Legislative Process on Congress.gov.

A search of Congress.gov shows that so far in the 116th Congress, 16,245 bills or resolutions have been introduced. And of those 16,245, only 214 have become law. There are always many, many more bills and resolutions introduced than passed each Congress. Historical comparisons are available through GovTrack.

In the case of H.Res.631, Congress.gov shows that the resolution was referred to the Committee on Rules, but no further action has yet been taken. A committee does not have to take up action on a bill or resolution referred to it.

The 116th Congress will end on January 3, 2021. Once the Congress ends, all bills and resolutions that have been introduced and not signed into law are dead. It's possible for a bill to be re-introduced in the following Congress, but they will almost always have new numbers.

Cheers!

Sarah

2 people found this helpful