1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 8, 2020 3:19 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking records of Ruth Girk, John Jacobucci & 9th General Hospital

Hadley Carr Newbie

My great aunt, Ruth Virgina Girk (maiden name Brown), served in the 9th General Hospital Unit in World War II in the South Pacific Islands. She was born on June 20, 1916. I'm also looking for any information on the 9th General Hospital Unit (https://library.weill.cornell.edu/sites/default/files/ninthgeneralhospital.pdf ). I'm also seeking information about John R. Jacobucci, who I believe served in the 41st Infantry during WWII. Jacobucci sent many interesting letters to my great aunt, and I would love to learn more about him. I found one record on Ancestry and the Hall of Valor (https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/31485 ), but was hoping that I could access the military record. Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!

• Re: Seeking records of Ruth Girk, John Jacobucci & 9th General Hospital
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Carr,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of their Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 for each and mail them to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Please fill out and submit separate forms for each of the individuals you are researching. If there is any information requested by the form which you do not know, you may omit it, however the more information you provide, the easier it will be for NPRC staff to locate the correct file if it survived the war.  For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Morning reports for Army units from November 1, 1912 to 1959 and copies of most of the monthly rosters from November 1912 - 1943 and 1947 - 1959 for Army units (including Army Air Corps) are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For more information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.  Rosters for units serving in World War II from 1944 - 1946 were destroyed in accordance with Army disposition authorities.

Photographs of various U.S. Army activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov and to request a search for photographs of specific units.

We searched National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that includes after action reports and other records of the 41st Infantry Division and its component units. It may also contain records of the 9th General Hospital Unit. Additionally, we located Unit Annual Reports, 1940 - 1949 in the Records of the Office of the Surgeon General (Army) (Record Group 112) that includes a file for the 9th General Hospital. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL, RDSS, and RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We searched the Library of Congress’s Veterans History Project and located three collections relating to veterans of the 9th General Hospital and 31 collections relating to veterans of the 163rd Infantry Regiment.

The US Army Medical Department’s Office of Medical History and the U.S. Army Medical Department Museum may be able to assist you with researching the 9th General Hospital. The U.S. Army Women's Museum has resources concerning the service of women in the US Army. The National Infantry Museum & Soldier Center may have information about the 41st Infantry Division and the 163rd Infantry Regiment. Lastly, the National WWII Museum may be of  assistance.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful