13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2021 5:28 PM by Becky Hickman

    Seeking records about plane crash & grandfather's death


      My grandfather was killed in a plane crash over Luzon Island in WWII.  Will his OMPF give the details of the crash? 

        • Re: Seeking records about plane crash & grandfather's death
          Elliot Schneider Guide



          If you could please provide additional information pertaining to your grandfather, such as a name, DOB, place of birth.






          Elliot Schneider

            • Re: Seeking records about plane crash & grandfather's death



              My grandfather is James Arthur Skipper.  He was born November 7, 1921, in England, Arkansas.  I know he was inducted into the army on November 13, 1944.  I have his SSN and his serial number/service ID, or whatever, but I think I read I shouldn't post those kinds of details.  I know that he arrived on Luzon Island on May 8, 1945 and was assigned to the 149th Infantry.  I know that on June 26th, 1945, he was killed in a plane crash ferrying supplies to troops.  I have a copy of a letter that describes a little of what happened, that my grandmother received after his death.  I would like to see a detailed report, if such a thing is available.  My father, who was 4 when his father died, turns 80 next February.  We are fixing up his grandfather's house as a surprise, and I would also like to have as much information about his father's military experience as I can obtain.


              Thank you for your response,


              Becky Skipper Hickman

                • Re: Seeking records about plane crash & grandfather's death
                  Elliot Schneider Guide



                  Here is some information below. 38th Division 149th Infantry Was his Unit. When the NPRC resumes normal business operation I would suggest obtaining a copy of his IDPFs file which is known for Individual Deceased Personnel File.


                  For the IDPFs from 1940-1976 of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z,  please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405.


                  Also would suggest looking to have medals awarded as well. Saw the AMBC.GOV site and dose not show that he received the purple heart, and if he was on an air mission then he should have also received and Air Medal as well. Plus he should have Good conduct medal, American campaign ribbon, ASIATIC Pacific Ribbon, WW2 Victory ribbon, and depending on his MOS a Combat Infantry Badge, and I know that some men that served in the Army who received the CIB award were also awarded the Bronze Star. Worth looking into.







                   James Arthur Skipper Jr.


                  Name:James A Skipper
                  Marital status:Married
                  Birth Year:1921
                  Nativity State or Country:Arkansas
                  Residence:Conway, Arkansas
                  Education:1 year of college
                  Civil Occupation:Skilled occupations in refining of petroleum
                  Enlistment Date:13 Nov 1944
                  Enlistment Place:Camp Josepth T Robinson Little Rock, Arkansas
                  Service Number:38734091
                  Branch:No branch assignment
                  Component:Selectees (Enlisted Men)
                  Source:Civil Life



                  Hope this helps,


                  Elliot Schneider

                  2 people found this helpful
              • Re: Seeking records about plane crash & grandfather's death
                Tamie Dehler Adventurer

                I think you should request the IDPF (Individual Deceased Personnel File).  I did this for my deceased uncle, who was killed in France in WWII.


                In this file, you may get information on the place and cause of death, extent of the injuries, condition of the body, any temporary internment, re-internment information, a list of personal effects found on the soldier, a picture of the dog tags, what family members were contacted as next of kin, receipts documenting the return of the personnel effects to the family, etc.  It can be very gruesome or just not contain much information about the circumstances of the death.  You will receive whatever information they collected at the time the IDPF was created.


                I requested this in 2008 through the Freedom of Information Act from the Department of the Army, US Human Resources Command, 200 Stovall St., Alexandria, VA 22332-0400.

                1 person found this helpful
                • Re: Seeking records about plane crash & grandfather's death
                  Jason Atkinson Guide

                  Dear Ms. Hickman,


                  Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

                  As was mentioned by previous replies, the best place to begin your research for military casualties is the Individual Deceased Personnel File. The address provided by Mr. Schneider is the current contact for these records.


                  Also, the entry on the website of the American Battle Monuments Commission that Mr. Schneider references may be located at https://www.abmc.gov/decedent-search/skipper%3Djames.


                  World War II Army Air Force and Air Force accident reports up to 1955 are in the custody of the Air Force Historical Research Agency, 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL  36112-6424.


                  In regards to the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), if it survived the 1973 fire which destroyed approximately 80% of the OMPFs from this time period, it may include some information about his death.  OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. When filling out the form, use his death date at the “Date Released.” For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


                  Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


                  We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!