2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2020 11:47 AM by Elliot Schneider

Seeking records & photos of Michael Trani & Robert Larch

Joseph Larch Newbie

I am seeking all the photos of my grandfather, Michael S. Trani, who served during WWII and my father, Robert Lester Larch, who served in Vietnam. I would like their Military service records and any photos of both of them. My Grandfather and my Father never spoke much about where they fought at or their history in the Military. The only thing I know about my Grandfather is that he fought in the Battle of the Bulge and was working with the Howitzer big guns. My father all I know about his career in the Navy is he was attached to Search and Rescue. I have my grandfather's bayonet, and my Father's machete. Both are now deceased. I was born at the Pensacola Fla. Naval Air Base in May 1964, and I hope one day to visit where I was born.

• Re: Seeking records & photos of Michael Trani & Robert Larch
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

Dear Mr. Larch,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The "official" photograph of an individual is not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.

For both your grandfather and father, we suggest that you request copies of their Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during WWII and/or Vietnam are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 for each individual and mail them to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Photographs of various U.S. Army, Navy, and Marine Corps activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov and their web site is https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/photographs-dc.html.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS. Also, the NPRC closed again as of November 7, 2020 until further notice. NPRC will respond only to requests involving burials, medical emergencies, and homeless veterans.  If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines or emergency requests may be faxed to (314) 801-0764.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

• Re: Seeking records & photos of Michael Trani & Robert Larch
            Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Joseph,

Military photos were not permanent to the service members file, however I do know that Navy records are a little different because they had my fathers photo in his Naval Service file. So I'm sure this is very rare for me to have a photo but for the most part again they were not permanent.

Name:Michael S Trani
            Race:White
            Marital status:Single, without dependents (Single)
            Birth Year:1914
            Nativity State or Country:Pennsylvania
            Citizenship:Citizen
            Education:2 years of high school
            Civil Occupation:Semiskilled occupations in fabrication of metal products, n.e.c.
            Enlistment Date:13 Nov 1942
            Enlistment Place:Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
            Service Number:33468193
            Branch:Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
            Component:Selectees (Enlisted Men)
            Source:Civil Life
            Height:66
            Weight:136

Hospital Admission Card:

Name:Michael S Trani
            Race:White (includes Mexican) (White)
            Admission Age:30
            Birth Date:abt 1915
            Admission Date:Apr 1945
            Discharge Date:Apr 1945
            Discharge Place:Portable Surgical, Evacuation, or T/O Convalescent Hospital
            Military Branch:Field Artillery, General or Unspecified
            Military Unit:4
            Diagnosis:Diagnosis: Urethritis (non-gonococcal)
            Type of Injury:InjuryType: Disease; InjuryType2: Not a traumatism
            Type of Discharge:Duty (includes AWOL)
            Length of service:2-3 yr.
            Service Number:33468193
            Notes:None

Here is Information on your father Robert Larch and Marriage records

U.S., School Yearbooks, 1900-1999

Hope this helps,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful