1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 8, 2020 10:11 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking Valley Forge General Hospital patient records

    Tracy Steele Newbie

      I am seeking information in order to locate, I believe, a former patient of Valley Forge General Hospital in 1966. The name is Ray Pirillo and I wish to locate him or a next-of-kin to return a memento I have found that was given to my mother, a former nursing aide there. I'm not sure what the E E B initials refer to, I imagine that also could have been a patient.


      Bottom of mug which I believe was made during rehab.

        • Re: Seeking Valley Forge General Hospital patient records
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Steele,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          Clinical (inpatient) records are compiled when members are actually hospitalized while in the service. An overnight stay or admission generally makes a patient an inpatient.  The resulting records from hospital care are called either clinical or inpatient records.  Clinical (inpatient) records are filed by the name of the hospital in which the member was treated.  Therefore, please send the name of the hospital, month (if known) and year of treatment, as well as the veteran's name and social security or service number to NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 when making an inquiry to that office. Clinical records retired by hospitals to NPRC include Army hospitals from 1960. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the NPRC closed again as of November 7, 2020 until further notice. NPRC will respond only to requests involving burials, medical emergencies, and homeless veterans.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) does not provide services to locate living individuals.  The records in the custody of NARA were typically transferred from other Federal agencies at least 20-30 years after they were created and used.  Therefore, NARA records are not usually helpful in providing current information about individuals. Please review NARA’s Locating Veterans and Service Members web pages for some ideas.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!