1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 9, 2020 6:10 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking all photos of my brother during his service

    Cynthia Starr Newbie

      He served in the USMC & Army National Guard.  How do I start? And where do I look?*

        • Re: Seeking all photos of my brother during his service
          Rachael Salyer Navigator

          Dear Ms. Starr,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Depending on when your brother served in the Marine Corps and in the Army National Guard, you may need to search different places for potential photographs.


          If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your brother’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1958 and prior to May 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NRPC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          For access to personnel records of non-active duty Army National Guard enlisted personnel and officers, please contact the Adjutant General of the appropriate state using the addresses listed on the National Guard website at https://www.ngaus.org/states-territories/state-association-directory.


          Please note that the "official" photograph of an individual is not considered to be a permanent federal record by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in your brother's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.


          In addition, photographs of various U.S. Army, Navy, and Marine Corps activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). For example, We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Photographs of American Military Activities, ca. 1918 - ca. 1981 in the Records of the Office of the Chief Signal Officer (Record Group 111) that may include the photographs you seek. Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov. When you contact them, be sure to include as much information about your brother and his military unit as possible, including his first and last name and the unit(s) he served in. For more information, please see Photographs and Graphic Works in College Park, Maryland.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          Finally, Marine Corps photographs from 2008 to the present are in the custody of the Defense Visual Information Center /IAP World Services, Research Department, 23755 Z Street, Riverside, CA 92518-2031.  The website is https://www.defenseimagery.mil/index.html, and we also suggest you contact the Marine Corps History Division, 3078 Upshur Avenue, Quantico, VA 22134.  The website is https://www.mcu.usmc.mil/historydivision/SitePages/Home.aspx.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!