2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2020 2:10 PM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking citation for husband's Bronze Star

    Ellen Balls Newbie

      I am looking for the citation for a Bronze Star awarded to my husband during the Vietnam War.

        • Re: Seeking citation for husband's Bronze Star
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Do you happen to know your husbands unit?




          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking citation for husband's Bronze Star
            Rachael Salyer Pioneer

            Dear Ms. Balls,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of your husband’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1958 and prior to October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


            In addition, the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) has custody of the records of Army units that served in Vietnam. These records may contain general orders or other records that are relevant to your research. The files are arranged by unit, and identification of the unit is necessary before a search can be conducted. They do not include personnel or medical information, and we do not have a name index to these records. Please contact RDT2 at archives2reference@nara.gov for access to and information about these records. When you submit your inquiry, be sure to include as much information about your husband as possible, including his first and last name and the unit he served in.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing ONLY requests associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!