4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2020 1:55 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking military history of Ensign Mary F Vogel

Mark Thickpenny Wayfarer

I am seeking the military history of Ensign Mary F Vogel, US Navy. She was born on April 5, 1921 and died on March 22, 1982, She's buried at  Calverton National Cemetery.  No serial number has been found.  Secondly, what does the "Branch Alpha Designation or Code" - "Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA"  mean?  Have seen this assigned to draftees with no prior military experience.  Thank you.

• Re: Seeking military history of Ensign Mary F Vogel
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Mark,

Do you have any additional information was she in the Navy from WW2-Korean Wars did she retire. I found a Mary Vogel in the 1961 and 1962 Navy registry as an ENS but the date of birth dose not match. Found a Mary E. Vogel listed on the USS Wharton in 1942. If you can scan the draft card please share.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

Mark Thickpenny Wayfarer

Mr. Schneider,

I called the Calverton Cemetery this morning.  Was informed that the Mary F Vogel I had found was married to a Leonard Vogel.  The individual I spoke with, Emil, was very helpful and probed further through the records for me.  No luck.

Since my earlier inquiry regarding the military career of Milton J. Vogel I have found his 1948 marriage license with spouse whose maiden name was Marie F Salanitro and at the time lived in Brooklyn.  Still waiting for a reply to my written submission to NARA in Missouri regarding MJV's military career.  Delays caused by COVID, lockdowns and priority to current military personnel requests.  So it goes.

Please respond to the "Branch Immaterial" query in my earlier submission to History Hub.  Very puzzled by this category.

Much thanks for your assistance.

Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Mark,

I found something out pertaing to Leonard Vogel whom she was married to and is buried next too.

Here is information I found on Leonard he was actually with the 27th Infantry Division New York and was federalized into the war. Looks like I found the women your seeking. Her maiden name was Mary F. "McKenna" look at marriage with Leonard V. Vogel in 1947

Name:Leonard V Vogel
                  Marriage License Date:15 Nov 1947
                  Marriage License Place:Queens, New York City, New York, USA
                  Spouse:Mary F McKenna

Race:White
                  Marital status:Single, without dependents (Single)
                  Birth Year:1920
                  Nativity State or Country:New York
                  Citizenship:Citizen
                  Residence:Queens, New York
                  Education:4 years of high school
                  Civil Occupation:Financial institution clerks, n.e.c.
                  Enlistment Date:15 Oct 1940
                  Enlistment Place:Jamaica, New York
                  Service Number:20213952
                  Branch:Field Artillery
                  Component:National Guard (Officers, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
                  Source:National Guard
                  Height:70
                  Weight:168

Death Age:82
                  Birth Date:26 Jul 1920
                  Service Start Date:15 Oct 1940
                  Service End Date:23 Aug 1945
                  Death Date:5 Dec 2002
                  Internment Date:18 Dec 2002
                  Internment Place:New York, USA
                  Cemetery Address:210 Princeton Boulevard Rt 25 Calverton, NY 11933
                  Cemetery:Calverton National Cemetery
                  Plot:Section 5 Site 4171
                  Notes:Cpl Us Army World War Ii

Hope this helps,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful
                Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Thickpenny,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

According to the National Cemetery Administration’s Nationwide Gravesite Locator, Mary F. Vogel is buried in Calverton National Cemetery by virtue of being the wife of US Army Corporal Leonard V. Vogel. The locator does not indicate that she herself served. We note that you have already contacted Calverton National Cemetery and received similar information.

If she did serve in the US Navy, there would be an Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) for her. OMPFs and individual medical reports of officers of the U.S. Navy who were separated from service after 1902 and prior to and prior to January 31, 1994 are located at  NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. If she separated after 1958, certain information in the records will not be available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or her next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.

Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the NPRC closed again as of November 7, 2020 until further notice. NPRC will respond only to requests involving burials, medical emergencies, and homeless veterans.  If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines or emergency requests may be faxed to (314) 801-0764.   Otherwise, you may still mail in your request now, however it will be quite some time until NPRC can respond. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Regarding the question about "Branch Alpha Designation or Code" - "Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA," we assume you are referring to fields and values in the World War II Army Enlistment Records available for searching on the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) resource at www.archives.gov/aad.  If you have not done so already, we suggest you read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for this series available via AAD at  https://aad.archives.gov/aad/content/aad_docs/rg64_army_serial_faq.pdf.

As described in Question 1.4 of the FAQs, when NARA received the original microfilm of the World War II punch card enlistment records, there was no documentation to explain the codes used in the records.  Since that time, we have located various versions of codes that the Army used for the World War II enlistment records and have made educated guesses as to which version of the codes were actually used for the records.  From these codes we have been able to decipher many, but not all, of the codes.  We also know that the meanings of some of the codes changed throughout the war, which makes it even more difficult to accurately decipher the codes used in the enlistment records.

If you are interested, we suggest that you read the documentation compiled for these records.  The documentation is available for download via the National Archives Catalog at: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/1263923.  In particular, please review in the Basic Documentation (100.1ND_NC.pdf): Supplemental User Note 4 (page 7), a memo from the National Personnel Records Center (page 44), and the Army technical manuals starting on page 50.  In the NARA Compiled Code Lists (100.1CL_SD.pdf), the Arms and Services Codes is on page 151.

The Arms and Services Codes indicates that the value BI with an "11/11" overpunch would mean "Enlisted men of selectees not assigned to any arm or service (including trainees at Armored Force Replacement Training Center)."  But the value BI with an 00 would mean "Branch Immaterial – Warrant Officers, USA".  99.9% of the records with the value BI in the Branch: Alpha Designation field have the value 00 in the “Branch: Code” field.  

We have no answer as to why these values would show up in records of individuals with no prior military experience. 

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

[information provided in part by the National Archives at College Park - Electronic Records (RDE)]