2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2020 1:53 PM by Jill Ruch

Seeking Photographer's Documented List

Jill Ruch Wayfarer

Hello, In my research on the Village of Shelly (Richland Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania), I have come across several postcards of the village during the early 1900s.  I was informed the photographer was probably John C. Bartholomew (3/29/1862 - 2/22/1943) of Lansdale, Pennsylvania.  Mr. Bartholomew numbered his images (postcards).  He must have visited the village at least twice because different postcards have the same number. My first question is:  Is there a documented list outlining his work?  For example: number 1 is the creek looking north, number 2 reflects a young boy fishing, etc.  My second question is:  Why did photographers photograph villages?  Perhaps, they saw America changing, or they needed images on postcards.  Shelly did have a post office. Thank you

• Re: Seeking Photographer's Documented List
          Cara Jensen Tracker

Dear Ms. Ruch,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you contact the Lansdale Historical Society to inquire about any documented lists or files they may have from the John C. Bartholomew photography studio.  As far as the subject matter of his photographs, they may have been taken for business and/or personal reasons.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

• Re: Seeking Photographer's Documented List
              Jill Ruch Wayfarer

Thank you, Cara.

I did get a response from the Lansdale Historical Society.  I was informed that Mr. Bartholomew's collection was broken up when he died during World War II.  His son was expecting to get it intact when he came home from the war but that never happened.

In addition, early in Mr. Bartholomew's career, he worked as a traveling photographer who would go from town to town for a night or two, stay in a hotel, set up a temporary studio and take portraits of local folks. He shot virtually everything from standups to local scenes.

Thank you - Jill