2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2020 1:08 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking records of mission to blow-up radar insulation in Cambodia

Morris Graham Newbie

I was sent to Bad Tolz Germany in 1960 for training with 10th Group special forces war games.  Different units from around German for a while.  Then it came down to 30 of us extra training & they sent us to NAM air force base next to sea.  We collected weapons we were to carry from the 10th.  The next day we were put on 4 choppers and flew a ways before 2 of them split from us. Found out later they were to meet us at an radar base (Chinese) to blow it up. They were helping the N. Nam. We never seen them again. I was treated for my wound in Sac Base in southern Germany.  When I got back to 7th Cav I was treated badly. Are the records available about fighting and blowing up radar insulation in Cambodia in the 1960s?

• Re: Seeking records of mission to blow-up radar insulation in Cambodia
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Morris,

I found a write up on a blog i belong to here it is below. From what I've read is that the actual 10th SFG never set foot in Vietnam, but many of the men including yourself seemed to have rotated in and out of the country from that particular training area within Germany. Did you wear the full SF Flash or the Non-SF "Candy Stripe"

Additionally, do you remember if this was a classified or declassified mission. Were records for the mission contained within the 10th SFG? Was there a Task Force Group name for this event?

The Originals

Sixty-four years ago PFC Richard Simonian and SFC Clyde J. Sincere Jr., were among the original 600 Special Forces from the newly formed 10th Special Forces Group that boarded the USNS General A.W. Greely in Wilmington, N.C., for a transatlantic voyage to Bremerhaven, Germany – the first Special Forces unit to deploy to Europe. They boarded a train in Bremerhaven, rode to a train station outside the ancient German city of Bad Tolz – the training site for SS officer candidate school during WWII. They were the first of an aggregate strength of 1,700 personnel to be shipped to Germany as the Cold War heated up.

Then the 600 Special Forces soldiers marched into Bad Tolz, Bavaria Germany where they set up the first operational headquarters for Special Forces commanded by OSS Legend Col. Aaron Bank, ending a long and tedious process of forming the 10th Special Forces Group that officially began June 19, 1952 at Ft. Bragg, N.C.

“I’ll never forget that march into Bad Tolz,” said Simonian, 84, “There was still a lot of bomb damage from World War II, and to be honest, when many of the Germans saw that we were paratroopers, they weren’t too thrilled about that…at that time, we didn’t think about the historic aspect of Special Forces, we just did our duty and continued to march.” As they moved into barracks at Bad Tolz, a detachment of 99 men from 10th Group at Ft. Bragg were assigned to the 8240th Army Unit training anti-communist North Koreans while the remaining personnel at Ft. Bragg formed the core of the 77th Special Forces Group, thus setting the foundation for today’s Green Berets.

V/r

Elliot Schneider

• Re: Seeking records of mission to blow-up radar insulation in Cambodia
            Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Graham,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 2 series and 55 file units in the Records of the Central Intelligence Agency (Record Group 263) and 33 record series in the Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia (Record Group 472) that relate to Cambodia in the 1960s  For information about these and other Vietnam War-related records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at Archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

If you are seeking temporary duty (TDY) information, a copy of these records should have been placed in your Official Military Personnel File.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!