Dear Mr. Adams,
Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!
The Naval Sea Systems Command was formed in 1974. If 1794 was a typographical error, we suggest that you contact the Naval History and Heritage Command and the Naval Sea Systems Command for the information you seek.
We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!
1 person found this helpful
The origin of NAVSEA dates to 1794, when Commodore John Barry was charged to oversee the construction of a 44-gun frigate and ensure that all business "harmonized and conformed" to the public's interest.
Here are some past commanders
Here is a site please scroll all the way to the bottom you will see a list of past Norfolk Shipyard Commanders.
The following are the current and previous NAVSEA commanders to 1998:
- Vice Adm. William J. Galinis, June 2020 – present
- Vice Adm. Thomas J. Moore, June 2016 – June 2020
- Vice Adm. William H. Hilarides, June 2013 – June 2016
- Vice Adm. Kevin M. McCoy, June 2008 – June 2013
- Vice Adm. Paul E. Sullivan, July 2005 – August 2008
- Vice Adm. Phillip Balisle, June 2002 – July 2005
- Vice Adm. Pete Nanos, May 1998 – June 2002
Current Command Structure: