1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 24, 2020 3:02 PM by Thomas Richardson

Seeking dad's Navy Reserves service dates for his marker

tammy lackey Newbie

My dad was deceased a year ago yesterday. I have been working on his marker for almost a year. I have talked to my local VA office, Department of Defense and this morning Veteran's Center with a case number. They told me I have to contact the National Archives. I have already done that. The VA was nice enough to give me the dates for his Army service.  I don't understand it shouldn't be this difficult to get his Navy Reserve dates so I can get this done for him because he deserves this. My mom is 82 and sick.  She is waiting for this marker to be completed.  Can someone please help me?

• Re: Seeking dad's Navy Reserves service dates for his marker
          Thomas Richardson Navigator

Dear Ms. Lackey,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

He should be eligible for a headstone based on his Army Service. Depending on how long ago you first applied and if the VA requires the copies, you may wish to request another copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men and officers of the U.S. Army and possibly the Navy Reserves who were separated from the service prior to 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. For more information see Request Military Service Records.

Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the NPRC closed again as of November 7, 2020 until further notice. NPRC will respond only to requests involving burials, medical emergencies, and homeless veterans.  If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines or emergency requests may be faxed to (314) 801-0764.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful.