2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2020 1:33 PM by Jason Atkinson

    How can I get a copy of my DD-214?

    michael buhlmann Newbie

      How can I get a copy of my DD-214 and retirement letter?

        • Re: How can I get a copy of my DD-214?
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          What branch of service and what year? Did you receive your Annual Points statement?





          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: How can I get a copy of my DD-214?
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Mr. Buhlmann,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The location of your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) depends on your branch of service and your date of separation.  Please see Locations of Service Records for details. If the chart indicates that your records should be with the National Personnel Records Center, please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


            Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the NPRC is closing again as of November 7, 2020 until further notice. NPRC will respond only to requests involving burials, medical emergencies, and homeless veterans.  If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines or emergency requests may be faxed to (314) 801-0764.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            If the Locations of Service Records chart indicates that your records should still be with your branch of service, please submit the GSA Standard Form 180 to the listed contact.


            Also, if you separated from service in the 21st Century, see Are there alternate sources to obtain military service records? for information about electronic availability of records.


            We hope this is helpful.