1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 24, 2020 2:26 PM by Cara Jensen

Seeking naturalization records of Antonio King

atccn Newbie

Hello, I am seeking the naturalization records of Antonio King. He was born circa 1868, he immigrated to the U.S. from the Azores circa 1889, and he was naturalized in the Siskiyou County (CA) Superior Court on November 4, 1893. (This information comes from a combination of census records and the California voting register.) The naturalization records (either the declaration or the the petition) would be invaluable in finding information such as a) his birth name, b) his specific place of origin (what island/city), and/or c) the date and place of his arrival in the United States. Are there ways to get a hold of these records? Put another way, are there any other places that naturalization records would be expected to show up? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Let me know if any additional information would be helpful. (I don't have much, but I do have information about his marriage, children, death, and Homestead Act claims.) Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

• Re: Seeking naturalization records of Antonio King
          Cara Jensen Tracker

Dear Mr. Krell,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Prior to September 27, 1906, any "court of record" (municipal, county, state, or Federal) could grant United States citizenship. As a general rule, the National Archives does not have naturalization records created in state or local courts. However, a few indexes and records have been donated to the National Archives from counties, states, and local courts. We suggest that you contact the National Archives at San Francisco (RW-SB) via email at sanbruno.archives@nara.gov to determine if records from the Siskiyou County Superior Court are available. If the records are not available, we suggest that you contact the California State Archives and request a search for the naturalization records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RW-SB. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!