2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2020 3:43 PM by Lisa Sharik

Seeking unit & specialties of grandfather during WWII

Jordan Ottwell Newbie

I have a picture of my grandfather in uniform from World War II. I would like to know if someone can identify what unit and specialties he had during that time.

• Re: Seeking unit & specialties of grandfather during WWII
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Jordan,

Looks like his left shoulder reads the following, however cannot identify war patch under that.

CONSTABULARY TAB

Here is the unit on his right shoulder sleeve. 78th Infantry Division. The collars unit insignia are hard to make out but look similar to this of the 307th Field Artillery? Look at the top of the crest and the top of the crest on your picture.

US Army 307th Field Artillery BN German-Made DI in 935 Silver: Flying Tiger  Antiques Online Store

WWII US Army 78th Infantry Division (aka "Lightning) Patch: Flying Tiger  Antiques Online Store

Hope this helps,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking unit & specialties of grandfather during WWII
            Lisa Sharik Adventurer

Right hand ribbon is Army of Occupation. The patch on  his right hand side( left as you look at the picture) ( 78th Infantry Division) is the unit he saw combat with but was not part of, at the time the photograph was taken. Photo likely taken 1946. The patch on the left is the unit he is with at the time the photo was taken. I can't make out what it is. Constabuary were a US military force which  acted as an occupation and security force in the U.S. Occupation Zone of West Germany and Austria.

Lisa Sharik

Deputy Director

Texas Military Forces Museum