1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 17, 2020 10:56 AM by Holly Rivet

Seeking immigration information of William Pinkerton

Claudia Swing Newbie

I am trying to locate the ship and manifest and immigration record of my great, great, great, great grandfather, William Pinkerton.  He was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland around 1727 and immigrated to America in 1750 and settled in the Lancaster area of Pennsylvania where he was a flax seed merchant.  I have a family tree from him to me, but I am lacking his immigration to this country.  I do not know the port he left in Scotland or the UK or the port he arrived in this country. I would assume the Philadelphia area. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Re: Seeking immigration information of William Pinkerton
          Holly Rivet Tracker

Dear Ms. Swing,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The National Archives and Records Administration has immigration records for various ports for the years 1800-1959, but there are few organizations who have archived immigration documents prior to the Revolutionary War. The Pennsylvania State Archives holds immigration records from 1727 - 1868. Please visit their webpage for more information.  We also suggest that you contact the National Archives UK’s Research Guide to Emmigration and Emigrants.  There are several sources that apply to your interest there.

In addition, the book titled Ship Passenger Lists, Pennsylvania and Delaware (1641-1825) by Carl Boyer may provide the information you seek plus other resources.  Please see this WorldCat listing to locate a library near you who may have it in their collection.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet