2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2020 2:43 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking records of Sgt Meredith T Reneau battle experience

    william reneau Newbie

      How do I get information on my father's WWI service. I have all the information on his regiment and all other data. He was transferred to the Army Air Corps but I would like to know his prior battlefield experience.

        • Re: Seeking records of Sgt Meredith T Reneau battle experience
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Do you have letters or anything that states who he was with before being transferred to the Army air corps? Was he with the regular army or national guard before transferring to the Air Corps Im'm sure you have his veterans Index card but here it is.



          Hope this helps,


          Elliot Schneider

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking records of Sgt Meredith T Reneau battle experience
            Thomas Richardson Navigator

            Dear Mr. Reneau,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the NPRC closed again as of November 7, 2020 until further notice. NPRC will respond only to requests involving burials, medical emergencies, and homeless veterans.  If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines or emergency requests may be faxed to (314) 801-0764.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            If you have his unit information, please post it on History Hub.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!