2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2020 12:49 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military records of Benjamin Leroy Crowder

    Dale Crowder Newbie

      I am seeking the military records of my grandfather, Benjamin Leroy Crowder, who served in WWI

        • Re: Seeking military records of Benjamin Leroy Crowder
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information. He may have served in the regular Army beginning in 1894 or National Guard before enlisting for the war. it is also possible that because he entered late in the war closer to the end of the war he may have been all stateside service.


          Name:Benjamin Crowder
          Death Date:19 Apr 1978
          Enlistment Date 1:7 May 1918
          Release Date 1:17 Feb 1919
          Enlistment Date 2:24 Dec 1894





          Hope this helps,


          Elliot Schneider

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military records of Benjamin Leroy Crowder
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Mr. Crowder,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested that you do not know, you may leave it blank, however the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. If the index card that Mr. Schneider located for you is the correct one, please be sure to include the service number 1 128 612, the date entered of 5/7/1918, and the date released of 2/17/1919.  Since Social Security Numbers (SSN) did not exist during World War I, if you do not know his social security number or he never got one when those were introduced in the 1930s, you may omit the SSN without causing any difficulty. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            In regards to the U.S. Veteran’s Bureau Pension card which Mr. Schneider located for you, if this a card for the correct Benjamin Leroy Crowder and you would like to order the corresponding claim file, please email the National Archives at St Louis (RL-SL) at stl.archives@nara.gov.  Please attach the image of the card to your email.


            If the claim file was still active in the 1950s when the inactive claims files were transferred to the National Archives, it may still be in the  custody of the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). If RL-SL tells you that they do not have the file, please file a FOIA request with the Department of Veterans Affairs.  Their FOIA website is https://www.va.gov/foia/.  All questions regarding VA’s FOIA procedures and fees may be emailed to VACOFOIAService@va.gov


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Also, the NPRC closed again as of November 7, 2020 until further notice. NPRC will respond only to requests involving burials, medical emergencies, and homeless veterans.  If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines or emergency requests may be faxed to (314) 801-0764.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            To correct one thing that Mr. Schneider said about the index card, the 24 Dec 1894 date is the veteran’s date of birth rather than a prior enlistment date. It appears that the database he was using mislabeled that field.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!