1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 23, 2020 11:16 AM by Cara Jensen

Seeking Naturalization papers of John Joseph Ciucevich

Joseph Ciuevich Newbie

I am looking for a copy of my 3rd great grandfather's naturalization papers. His name was John Joseph Ciucevich and I believe he was naturalized on July 2, 1866 in South Carolina. He was from what is Croatia today but at the time he came over it was Austria. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Re: Seeking Naturalization papers of John Joseph Ciucevich
          Cara Jensen Tracker

Dear Mr. Ciuevich,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 2 series in the Records of District Courts of the United States (Record Group 21) that pertain to South Carolina Naturalizations in the 1860s. For access to these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at Atlanta (RE-AT) via email at atlanta.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-AT. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

These South Carolina naturalization records (see above) have been digitized and are name-searchable online using Ancestry.  There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, you may wish to contact your local library. Many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for patrons.

We suggest that you review NARA’s Naturalization Records website and the FamilySearch Research wiki South Carolina Naturalization and Citizenship for more information. 

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!