1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 23, 2020 12:29 PM by Shannon Kerner

    Seeking military records of Joseph Sowieralski/Sawyers

    Luke Sowieralski Adventurer

      Hello, I’m wondering what my great uncle, Joseph Sowieralski, mos job was in WWII in the Army. Here's his information: Army Service Number is  33159694; he enlisted on February 26 1942; his name was Joseph Sowieralski (later changed to Sawyers); and was born in 1920.

        • Re: Seeking military records of Joseph Sowieralski/Sawyers
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

          Dear Mr. Sowieralski,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the NPRC closed again as of November 7, 2020 until further notice. NPRC will respond only to requests involving burials, medical emergencies, and homeless veterans.  If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines or emergency requests may be faxed to (314) 801-0764.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!