1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 18, 2020 2:25 PM by Cara Jensen

Seeking information about Fannie Mae Woodall & her biological family

Tehya Boone Newbie

My great-grandmother, Fannie Mae Woodall/Woodell/Woodle was a native american woman sold and adopted by a white family as a child. She was from either the Eastern Band of Cherokee or Cheroenhaka Nottoway. She never talked to her children or grandchildren about her childhood or life before she was married to my great-grandfather. My grandfather said she had family in the Black Hills, but we don't know that for sure. She was born in Virginia on April 30,1914 and died in Hamlet, North Carolina on February 8, 1975 at the age of 59/60 from Alzheimer's. She was married to William Henry Hicks. They had three children -.two sons, Jack and Billy (William) Hicks, and a daughter, Betty Jean Hicks who married a Williams. I would like to find my GGM Fannie Mae birth & death records and anything about her family. From what we can tell, her father listed on her death certificate is Babe Troublefield and it was rumored her mother died on a reservation or native territory, but we don't know for sure.