1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 17, 2020 11:22 AM by Cara Jensen

Seeking ascendant’s Declaration of Intention & Petition for Naturalization

Kimberly Chio Newbie

I already know about USCIS but I'm also requesting documents on an ascendant’s Declaration of Intention & Petition for Naturalization through NARA. Is there a link that I can click on to start the process? I have the necessary information to begin the request. Thank you.

• Re: Seeking ascendant’s Declaration of Intention & Petition for Naturalization
          Cara Jensen Tracker

Dear Ms. Chio,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

To request naturalization indexes, declarations of intention (with any accompanying certificates of arrival), and petitions for naturalization, email the National Archives facility serving the petitioner’s state in which the application was submitted to a Federal court

To ensure a successful request, please include the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin in your email. 

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!