1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 17, 2020 1:59 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking Military Medical Records for Grandparents

    Mary King Newbie

      I am trying to see if it is possible to get a copy of my grandparents medical records from Brooks General Hospital (now known as BAMC) from 1920-1948.

        • Re: Seeking Military Medical Records for Grandparents
          Thomas Richardson Navigator

          Dear Ms. King,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Clinical records created prior to 1960 for Army personnel were usually filed in the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).  They were not retired to National Personnel Records Center in separate shipments by hospitals.  Therefore, many of the documents recording inpatient care for Army veterans were destroyed in the 1973 fire.  An exception to this would be those Army clinical records (dating back as early as 1957) which were maintained at Clinical Record Libraries at selected treatment facilities such as Brooke General Hospital at Fort Sam Houston, TX. Records for Brooke General Hospital may still be available, even if the service member's OMPF was destroyed in the 1973 fire


          Using a GSA Standard Form 180, please include the name of the hospital, month (if known) and year of treatment, as well as the veteran's name and social security or service number and mail the completed form to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. 


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the NPRC closed again as of November 7, 2020 until further notice. NPRC will respond only to requests involving burials, medical emergencies, and homeless veterans.  If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines or emergency requests may be faxed to (314) 801-0764.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful.