1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 17, 2020 10:59 AM by Shannon Kerner

    Seeking orders or citations for awards received by father


      How can I get a copy of my father's general orders or citations that showed he earned his medals? He is deceased.

        • Re: Seeking orders or citations for awards received by father
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

          Dear Mr. Standish,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to October 2002 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. His OMPF file should also include the general orders information and any citations for his awards. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Once you have a listing of the general orders, please post that information on History Hub.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the NPRC closed again as of November 7, 2020 until further notice. NPRC will respond only to requests involving burials, medical emergencies, and homeless veterans.  If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines or emergency requests may be faxed to (314) 801-0764.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!