1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 13, 2020 10:02 AM by Holly Rivet

    Seeking my Merchant Marine discharge papers

    Gary Stanley Newbie

      I am trying to receive my Merchant Marine papers.   Any suggestions?

        • Re: Seeking my Merchant Marine discharge papers
          Holly Rivet Tracker

          Dear Mr. Stanley,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The Merchant Marine Personnel and Licensing Records dated prior to 1968 in the Records of the U.S. Coast Guard (Record Group 26) are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). Please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.govInclude the name, date of birth, dates of service, and "Z" number in your email.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Persons requesting Merchant Marine personnel service jackets for 1968 to the present should write to the USCG-National Maritime Center (NMC-421), ATTN: Correspondence Section, 100 Forbes Drive, Martinsburg, WV 25404.  Please include name, date of birth, Social Security number, address, and Z or Service number. Their website is https://www.dco.uscg.mil/national_maritime_center/.


          We hope this is helpful.



          Holly Rivet