1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 13, 2020 5:45 PM by Bob L Liles

Seeking records about John Me-Jah

Bob L Liles Newbie

My great grandfather's name was John Me-Jah who was a Native American Indian. I can't locate anything about him or my family. I am Citizen Band of Potawatomi and I don't know what I should do next. Help please. My grandfather was Joseph Smith Megah. I believe my grandfather's last name was changed by someone when he was a newborn. He died as Joseph Smith Megah in Shawnee, Oklahoma in 1966 I think. I was raised by him and my grandmother Evelyn in Shawnee.

• Re: Seeking records about John Me-Jah
          Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Mr. Liles,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the 4 series regarding the Citizen Band of Potawatomi in the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Record Group 75) that may contain records of John Me-jah. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at Fort Worth (RM-FW) via email at ftworth.archives@nara.gov.

We also located the series Deeds of the Citizen Band of Potawatomi Indians of Oklahoma, 8/1894 - 11/1910 and the Indian Census Rolls, 1885-1940 (M595) in the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Record Group 75) that may contain records of John Me-jah. For access to the first series and M595, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov. Please use NARA’s online Microfilm Catalog to learn which NARA units have copies of National Archives Microfilm Publication No. M595 and review NARA’s web page on Indian Census Rolls for more information. 

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RM-FW & RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

M595 is indexed and available online at Ancestry and Fold3  There may be a fee for using Ancestry or Fold3. Instead, check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.

Next, we searched online and located the Citizen Band Pottawotomie rolls that might be of relevance to your research. Lastly, we suggest that you review NARA’s Native American Heritage plus. the FamilySearch Research wikis for Potawatomi Tribes and for Indigenous Peoples of the United States Genealogy

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful