1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 13, 2020 1:41 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking records about US Army & the Southern Institute

steve villa Newbie

I am a genealogist for my family with a curious question that I could use some help on. http://uspf.edu.ph/history.html ... check out this website first.

1. My family is related to Augustin Jereza, founder of what is now called the University of Southern Philippines Foundation. Our family is involved in the school's affairs at the Board level.
      2. The History page on the University website makes an interesting claim, one that I would like to verify with documentation, if at all possible.
        • "Sadly, the Second World War razed the school buildings to the ground, with the exception of the façade of the Administration Building. The U.S. Army occupied the campus.The school was reconstructed and re-opened at Camputhaw (now Lahug) in 1945."
        • While I don't want to come off too skeptical, it does seem as though the university website is lacking on the details of this claim. I have tried to reach out to University employees to help me verify this, but, as you can imagine, that has been a difficult project in the COVID-world we live in.

So here's my question ... perhaps you could help me find the answer, or at least point me the right direction.

• If indeed the US Army did occupy the campus of what was then called the Southern Institute, I would guess that there's official Army documentation that validates this.
      • Being unfamiliar with how to navigate the National Archives, I don't exactly how to create a search proper to the question.
      • QUESTION:  Is this something that you could help with?

I would be happy to hear back from you at your convenience.

• Re: Seeking records about US Army & the Southern Institute
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Villa,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Station Lists, 1942 - 1953 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that may include information about units assigned to Cebu. We also located  World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in Record Group 407 that includes records of many units that were stationed in Cebu. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Photographs of various U.S. Army, Navy, and Marine Corps activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Many of the World War II photographs are indexed geographically and have captions that may indicate some of the units or activities in particular places. Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov to request a search for photographs of specific locations. 

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RDSS. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

In addition, we searched online and located the following which provide information about US Army activities in the Philippines during World War II. Although neither mentions the Southern Institute, they do indicate some of the units that operated in the Cebu area.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!