3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2020 2:52 PM by Oleksandr Zaviiskyi

Seeking immigration/naturalization records for NICK MANCHAK

Oleksandr Zaviiskyi Newbie

Hello, I am trying to find out immigration/naturalization records for my grandmother's brother. I did a research and found his CENSUS RECORD

All documents are available on these attachments.  Also in the attachment is a document confirming a postal parcel of 1958 from the USA to my grandmother, who at that time lived in the USSR. I was hoping if someone can help me understand my great-grandfather's naturalization process.

Thank you so much!

1940 CENSUS RECORD, Source National Archives and Records Administration                                                                

• Re: Seeking immigration/naturalization records for NICK MANCHAK
          Susannah Brooks Scout

Nick Manchak was naturalized in Luzerne Co PA on 8 Sept 1933.  His certificate of arrival, declaration of intention, and petition for naturalization are on familysearch.org (free research site, just register for a username and password).

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSM5-V7B7?i=35&cat=443580  (first of several pages)

Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Mr.Zaviiskyi,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you review these Genealogy: Passenger Arrival List Research Tips  and NARA’s page on Immigration Records to learn how to locate immigration information for Nick Manchak.  There are numerous ways that individuals could enter the United States from Europe such as on a ship that arrived at various coastal ports or over land from Canada, etc. Ship passenger arrival lists were a requirement beginning in 1820, but that does not guarantee that person was recorded or that the list still exists.

Many of the passenger lists have been digitized and are name-searchable online using Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.  There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, you may wish to contact your local library. Many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for patrons.

Prior to September 27, 1906, any "court of record" (municipal, county, state, or Federal) could grant United States citizenship. Often petitioners went to the court most geographically convenient for them. As a general rule, the National Archives does not have naturalization records created in state or local courts. However, a few indexes and records have been donated to the National Archives from counties, states, and local courts. We suggest that you contact the National Archives facility serving the state in which the petitioner resided to determine if records from lower courts are available. If the records are not available, we suggest that you request a search for the naturalization records from the State Archives or County Historical Societies.

Beginning on September 27, 1906, the responsibility for naturalization proceedings was transferred to the Federal courts. If a naturalization took place in a Federal court, naturalization indexes, declarations of intention (with any accompanying certificates of arrival), and petitions for naturalization will usually be in the custody of the National Archives facility serving the state in which the Federal court is located.

In most cases, the National Archives will not have a copy of the certificate of citizenship. Two copies of the certificate were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship, and one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

Certificates of citizenship were issued by the Federal courts until October 1991 when INS took over responsibility for naturalization proceedings. All INS records are now overseen by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS maintains duplicate copies of court records (including the certificate of citizenship) created since September 27, 1906 and may be requested through the USCIS Genealogy Program.

We suggest that you review NARA’s Naturalization Records website and the FamilySearch Research wiki United States Naturalization and Citizenship for an overview of the naturalization process.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Oleksandr Zaviiskyi Newbie

Thank you very much for all information. I highly appreciate this answer. Thank you sincerely.