1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 17, 2020 9:41 AM by Holly Rivet

Seeking military records of Donald B Gill

Kimberly Jordon Newbie

I am trying to find Air Force Military Records for my father, PFC Donald B Gill. All of his records burned up in a house fire years ago.  His years of service were 1954 to 1958.  Where do I find this information?

• Re: Seeking military records of Donald B Gill
          Holly Rivet Tracker

Dear Ms. Jordon,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Air Force who were separated from the service after 1946 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests

The NPRC building closed again as of November 7, 2020 until further notice. NPRC will respond only to requests involving burials, medical emergencies, and homeless veterans.  If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines or emergency requests may be faxed to (314) 801-0764.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful.

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet