1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 6, 2020 12:37 PM by Cara Jensen

    Seeking certified copy of Grandfather's naturalization papers

    Christina Leventis Newbie

      Hi! I have a copy of my Grandfather's Naturalization certificate.  I need a new certified (US stamped) copy for dual citizenship purposes.  How do I go about obtaining that. I am hoping since I have the C-number it will be a somewhat curtailed process. Thank you

        • Re: Seeking certified copy of Grandfather's naturalization papers
          Cara Jensen Tracker

          Dear Ms. Leventis,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Per U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) , the USCIS Genealogy Program cannot provide certified copies;  a record request can provide a photocopy of a naturalization record only. The National Archives also cannot certify records that are not in our custody.


          Since you are pursuing dual citizenship, the Consulates are aware that USCIS does not provide certified copies.  Instead, you must present the photocopy of the naturalization certificate along with the USCIS Genealogy Program response letter and mailing envelope.  We suggest that you consult with the country’s Foreign Consular Office for more information. 


          We hope this is helpful.