1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 10, 2020 6:27 AM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking records about my father in Germany

georgesn1 Newbie

My father had a career as a mechanic and driver in the U.S. Army in Germany for 35 years, as an Army civilian. He was enlisted just after the WWII  and his last assignment was the Miesau Army Depot, near Kaiserslautern until 1985.  I would like to go back to my father's past because I have very little information about his life, but I don't know where to begin my investigations. My father was very discreet, and that's all I know about his past, it's really just a few  fragments. I already have contacted the US Army in Germany, but they sent me  back to the NPRC. Unfortunately, I don't have an  answer from them. I don't know if I can consult any records about my father, if they exist, somewhere. The Army keeps records of its civilian employees somewhere, I think. Could you please help me or pass on my request to someone who could? Thanks

• Re: Seeking records about my father in Germany
          Rachael Salyer Scout

Dear Mr. Henin,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of your father’s Official Personnel File (OPF) if you have not already done so. OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity since 1952 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center. Written requests may be mailed or faxed to National Personnel Records Center Annex, 1411 Boulder Boulevard, Valmeyer, IL 62295. The fax number is 618-935-3014. Please include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of the employing Federal agency, and beginning and ending dates of Federal service. Certain information in the OPF may not be available to the general public without the written consent of the individual. For more information, please check their website at https://www.archives.gov/personnel-records-center/civilian-non-archival.

We also searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Monthly Reports of Operations, 11/24/1950-12/31/1959, the series Administration Files, 1954-1954, and the series Decimal Files, 1936-1959 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) that include reports and other records related to civilian personnel. These series and others like them, however, are not likely to include information about individual employees. Rather, they contain high-level program, administrative, and policy information. For access to or information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

In addition, we located the series Records of the Kaiserslautern Depot, 1966-1968, the series General Orders, Historical Files, and Other Records, 1962-1971, and the series General Records, 1967-1975 in the Records of United States Army, Europe (Record Group 549). Like the series in Record Group 338, these records do not contain information about individual employees. They might offer some general insight into the activities and circumstances of the army depot near Kaiserslautern during the time of your father’s employment, though. Please contact RDT2 with any questions you might have about these or similar records.  

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NARA has closed the Civilian Personnel Records Center (CPR) in Valmeyer, IL, effective immediately and until further notice. The local jurisdiction where CPR is located (Monroe County, IL) reported public health metrics that exceeded NARA’s targets for safe operation of our facilities. CPR will remain closed until local public health conditions improve. During the closure, CPR will maintain minimal staffing levels to support emergency reference requests only. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!