4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2020 3:14 PM by Jewell Dunn

Seeking Mary Levina McMullin Bryant in Indian Rolls

Retha Cook Newbie

I need help with an ancestor for my grandchildren. I'm looking for a roll number. My five times great-grandmother was Mary Levina McMullin Bryant. Bryant was her married name. She was married to Joseph Bryant. She was born in 1809 in Ohio. She could be Choctaw or Shawnee. There is some confusion amongst the family. She had a daughter named Marabe Jane Bryant Hadley. Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

• Re: Seeking Mary Levina McMullin Bryant in Indian Rolls
          Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Ms. Cook,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Population Schedules for the 1830 Census, Population Schedules for the 1840 Census, Population Schedules for the 1850 Census, the Population Schedules for the 1860 Census, the Population Schedules for the 1870 Census, the Population Schedules for the 1880 Census in the Records of the Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29) that may contain record of Mary McMullin Bryant.  For access to the non-digitized schedules, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

For information about the U.S. Census, see the Census Bureau technical documentation and questionnaires. Even though the census before 1850 only listed the head of the household by name, and the rest of the family members by sex & age, you can often use that information to infer the individual’s relationshipl.  See NARA’s Clues in Census Records, 1790-1840 for more information.

You may wish to search Ancestry.com or FamilySearch.org for the U.S. Census. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.

Since the Choctaw was an Eastern tribal nation and part of the early removals, the U.S. National Archives (NARA) has custody of records for the tribes in Ohio that date to when the first removal rolls were compiled.  The 1831 Armstrong Roll for Choctaw only listed the head of household and only those who had owned land. In 1856 there was a roll of Choctaw still living east of the Mississippi but only heads of families were named and the rest simply numbered.   The Dawes Records starting in 1898 listed all Choctaw in Indian Territory.

After battles and treaties, the Shawnee left Ohio very early, before the Office of Indian Affairs (former name of the BIA) was an agency and relations handled by the War Department.  Detailed documentation of Shawnee did not begin until they were in Kansas and Texas in the mid-19th Century.

When embarking on Native American genealogy, please note that the records in the custody of NARA often only detail those living on the reservations or being administered by the Bureau of Indian Affairs.  If Mary McMullin Bryant and her family were enumerated in the Ohio Federal Censuses during the time period of Choctaw and Shawnee removal, proving her native genealogy will be extremely difficult. 

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Cody White, Subject Matter Expert]

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking Mary Levina McMullin Bryant in Indian Rolls
            Jewell Dunn Wayfarer

Dear Retha,

I did a brief search and see that Marabe Hadley. I found Marole/Marobe J Hadley has a civil war widow's pension file with the date of filing June 30-1880. I would suggest obtaining a copy as it might give you some information to help with your search.

It is important to note, since she has an unusual name that you might want to check different spelling variances so you do not miss any records.

Sincerely,

Jewell Dunn

Washington State Archives

1 person found this helpful