1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 12, 2020 1:22 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking list of US Navy serviceman in Australia during WWII

    Peter Sheehan Newbie

      Is there a list of US Navy serviceman that came to Australia during WWII? I am searching for a Clide Edwards who served in Australia in 1943/1944. Details known - he served in the US Navy Air Corps and was either born or resided in Texas.

        • Re: Seeking list of US Navy serviceman in Australia during WWII
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Sheehan,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          There are no lists of servicemen that were assigned to particular geographic locations.


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Muster Rolls of U.S. Navy Ships, Stations, and Other Naval Activities, 1/1/1939 - 1/1/1949 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that includes muster rolls for most US Navy ships and shore establishments.  Please note that the muster rolls only include enlisted personnel. They do not list officers.


          As part of our on-going commitment to preserve our records, the National Archives has entered into partnership with Ancestry.com to digitize some of NARA's holdings. Digitized records include Muster Rolls of U.S. Naval Ships and Stations for the dates of January 1,1941 thru January 1, 1949. These records are now available in digital form and can be viewed online via U.S., World War II Navy Muster Rolls, 1938-1949. There may be a fee for this service. Please check with your local public or university library as these institutions often provide access to Ancestry.com.


          It may be possible to locate more information about him by requesting his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).  However, please note that if there were multiple sailors with the same name, it may not be possible to identify the correct file with the information provided. OMPFs and medical records of sailors of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  If there is anything requested by the form which you do not know, you may leave it blank or provide estimates (such as writing “World War II” for dates of service), however the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the NPRC closed again as of November 7, 2020 until further notice. NPRC will respond only to requests involving burials, medical emergencies, and homeless veterans.  If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines or emergency requests may be faxed to (314) 801-0764.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          [Information provided by Nate Patch, Subject Matter Expert]


          1 person found this helpful