6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2020 4:42 PM by Thomas Richardson

Seeking unit identification on headstone

Lowell Silverman Wayfarer

I was trying to decipher the unit identification of an officer whose story I was looking into.  It appears to be a standard government issue headstone.  He was a major in the U.S. Army.  This is the bewildering inscription: "16 TFC REG BN TC".  I'm assuming the TC is Transportation Corps.  Ordinarily I'd assume Reg was short for regiment and BN for battalion, but that obviously would make no sense.  The order form for the stone, which might provide more clues, is not available via Ancestry.com, unfortunately.  Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Mystery headstone

• Re: Seeking unit identification on headstone
          Grace Yuhasz Adventurer

Greetings, Lowell.

The U.S., Headstone Applications for Military Veterans, 1925-1970 on Ancestry.com did have a card for the person you are researching (I left off the name in case you didn't want it posted).

This is what it said.

It is definitely a confusing unit name!

1 person found this helpful
              Lowell Silverman Wayfarer

Thanks, Grace.  As usual, I end up feeling a little silly.  The applications for headstones from 1963 to 1970 were only added to Ancestry.com on October 15, 2020. I didn't recheck before I posted my question after initially researching it last month!  As I suspected, what was on the application and what ended up on the headstone is not the same.  Traf being turned into TFC was critical.  Now, I'm pretty sure that the unit is 16th Traffic Regulation Battalion.  I found references to Traffic Regulatory Battalions, Traffic Patrol Regulation Battalion or Traffic Regulation Battalions elsewhere.

Lisa Sharik Adventurer

The TFC is not on my list of abbreviations possibly "Training Force Commander" ?

REG is Regular, not Regiment, so the last 3 groups are Regular Battalion Transportation Corps.

Lisa Sharik

Deputy Director

Texas Military Forces Museum

Alex Daverede Adventurer

Lowell,

I believe the inscription refers to the 16th Traffic Regulation Battalion, Transportation Corps.

Traffic Regulation Battalions performed what is now called transportation management functions.  This meant that they did not control the actual conveyers of logistics material (like truck companies), but rather they had oversight of the transportation process that got needed material to combat units.

I hope you find this information helpful.

A. J.

Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Mr. Silverman,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The unit identification is the 16th Traffic Regulation Battalion, Transportation Corps. Traffic regulation units are mentioned in the Transportation Corps, Movements, Training, and Supply manual from the U.S. Army Center for Military History.

We have searched the National Archives online catalog and located the series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) that included the file unit 16th Transportation Command Regulation Battalion: History. We were unable to locate a specific reference to the 16th Traffic Regulation Battalion. We also searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940 - 1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that may include records of the 16th Traffic Regulation Battalion. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!