11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2020 3:16 PM by Karin Wells

Seeking help understanding military information

Karin Wells Newbie

I am still in the process of getting my grandfather's records, but have some information that I found on the National Archives website. I am looking for some help interpreting what the information means, as I don't know much about military ranks, divisions, companies, etc. Thanks!

• Re: Seeking help understanding military information
          Lisa Sharik Adventurer

The book "Finding Your Father's War: A Practical Guide to Researching and Understanding Service in the World War II U.S. Army" by Jonathan Gawne is an excellent resource for understanding the WWII US military. Copies can be found only for as little as $5 -$10

Lisa Sharik

Deputy Director

Texas Military Forces Mueum

1 person found this helpful
            Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Karin,

What is it you need interpreting. Depending on the branch of service many of us can help you decipher your question.

Thanks.

Elliot Schneider

Karin Wells Newbie

He was a master sergeant in the army during the Korean War. I have a piece of paper that states he was part of the 110th infantry company E. Then the information I found through the archives has other information. For Troop Program Sequence it states "IN DIV - 24th" and for Troop Program Sequence Number Element Sequence it states "IN DIV INF REGT." I am unsure about how the divisions work and if he was part of the 110th which was then split into the 24th?

Thank you for your help!

Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Ms. Wells,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Information about military ranks, operations, and echelons of military organization vary between each branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. Ranks and organizations have changed throughout periods in history and during wartime also. In order to interpret the information you have, please provide us with specific examples of what you would like to know more about.

For more information about military service records and the request process, visit the National Archives website here: About Military Service Records and Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs, DD Form 214).

Please note that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the National Personnel Records Center was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. On October 5, NPRC entered Phase Two. The center currently is only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful.

Karin Wells Newbie

Thank you for the response! I would like to know more about his infantry divisions. He was a master sergeant in the army during the Korean War. I have a piece of paper that states he was part of the 110th infantry company E. Then the information I found through the archives has other information. For Troop Program Sequence it states "IN DIV - 24th" and for Troop Program Sequence Number Element Sequence it states "IN DIV INF REGT." I am unsure about how the divisions work and if he was part of the 110th which was then split into the 24th? I wanted to do more research into the infantry division he was really a part of, but keep coming going around in circles.

Thank you!

Lisa Sharik Adventurer

It is not quite the same for the Korean war but the attached chart will give you an idea. An Infantry Division is made up of three Infantry Regiments, those Infantry Regiment are broken down into Companies A-M ( minus J)

Company E, 110th Infantry Regiment, was part of the 28th Infantry Division during WWII. However I found this information for the 28th during the Korean war:

"The 28th was ordered into active federal service 5 September 1950 at Harrisburg following the outbreak of the Korean War. The division re-opened the mothballed Camp Atterbury, Indiana and remained there from 13 September 1950 to 23 November 1951. It was sent to Germany to augment NATO forces there. During the Korean War, the 28th was mobilized and deployed to Europe as a part of the NATO command defending Western Europe from the threat of Soviet attack and remained on federal service until 22 May 1954."

The 24th Infantry Division's Infantry Regiments are the 19th, 21st and 34th. They serve in Korea during the war. As noted above the 110th Infantry Regiment, part of the 28th Infantry Division does not. It serves in Europe.

I know this doesn't answer your specific question about your father but the 110th Infantry Regiment and 24th Infantry Division are completely separate things.

Lisa Sharik

Deputy Director

Texas Military Forces Museum

Infantry Division WWII

Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Ms. Wells,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

To determine what units he served with, We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Command Reports, 1949 - 1954 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that includes four command reports for 1951-1952 of the 110th Infantry Regiment, 28th Infantry Division.  We also located 1019 file units for 1951-1953 for the 24th Infantry Division. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We also located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) ( Record Group 338) that includes 5 file units for the 110th Infantry Regiment for 1950-1959 and 355 file units for the 24th Infantry Division for 1950-1959. For access to these records, please contact RDT2.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2.  Also, the NPRC currently is only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Karin Wells Newbie

Thank you very much for all of this information! I have requested records twice through National Archives, but have not heard back yet, likely because of what you mentioned about COVID and the fact that this is not an emergency. I will send a request with the GSA Standard Form as well. My father has tried to get records before many years ago and was told that they had been destroyed, but it sounds like I should be able to receive something from the records. Do you think that with the information I will be able to receive, that would be enough to request his medals? I know he was wounded and so I would love to be able to get at least some medals to give to my dad as a surprise.

Thanks again for the help!