1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 3, 2020 11:23 AM by Cara Jensen

    How can I find out if I was an "en caul" birth?


      I need to know if I was an "en caul" birth. I was born at the Portsmouth Naval Hospital on 01/13/1971. Thank You so much for your help.

        • Re: How can I find out if I was an "en caul" birth?
          Cara Jensen Tracker

          Dear Ms. Stevens,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) stores inpatient, outpatient, dental and mental health records for dependents treated at Army, Air Force, Navy or Coast Guard facilities.  Some record collections date from the 1940s and 1950s, but more comprehensive information exists beginning in the 1960s. Naval facilities transfer Dependent Medical Folders (DMFs) to the NPRC, generally after 1-5 years of inactivity.


          Dependent Medical Records are contained within the member’s Service Treatment Record (STR). To request your medical files, please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Complete the form with the service member’s information (name, date of birth, social security number, branch, dates of service, etc.). Check the ‘Medical Records’ box in Section II and in the following spaces, indicate that you are requesting the service member’s Dependent Medical File (DMF). Please provide your date of birth and the location of Portsmouth Naval Hospital.  Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. On October 5, NPRC entered Phase Two. The center is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!