3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2020 11:41 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking a census record for 1960

    Mary Bernardi Dawson Newbie

      I am looking for a census record dated 1960 or later that includes my father, Amedeo Bernardi, who was living in Chicago Illinois during this time. The census record must show his name and also be certified. How long will this type of request take? If there are fees, I am glad to pay for this request. Thank  you

        • Re: Seeking a census record for 1960
          Susannah Brooks Pioneer

          By law, census records must be 72 years old before they are released to the public.  The 1960 US Census will not become available until 1 April 2032.  You will have to find an alternative type of record.

          • Re: Seeking a census record for 1960
            Alice Lane Pioneer

            Hi Mary,

            Welcome to History Hub


            I think your best source of information would be the Cook County Clerk's office.


            Hopefully they can give you some advice on how to proceed in your search

            I found that according to the information in your father's death record  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2MJ-Q13L

            that he lived in an apartment complex which means that he would not have paid

            any property taxes so his residency could not be confirmed in that way

            unless he owned property in 1960 which could prove his residency.

            Federal, State or City Tax returns for 1960 would prove his residency

            Good Luck in your search

            Alice Lane

            Research Volunteer

            • Re: Seeking a census record for 1960
              Jason Atkinson Ranger

              Dear Ms. Dawson,


              Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


              The information you seek must be requested via the Census Bureau's Age Search service. This service provides information about individuals from censuses that are still protected by the 72-year rule, but only to the named person, his or her heirs, or legal representatives. There is a Congressionally-mandated fee for this service. Individuals interested in requesting a search of their personal census records must complete and submit to the Census Bureau a form BC-600, Application for Search of Census Records, or a form BC-600sp, Solicitud Para Busqueda De Registros Censales.


              The 1960 records will be open to the general public on April 1, 2032.


              We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!