2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2020 1:51 PM by Shannon Kerner

Seeking blueprints for Cayce Grammar School

Stephanie Boles Newbie

I am looking for blueprints/drawings or something on the Cayce Grammar School, in Cayce SC. I have exhausted the state archives, county offices and local school district offices.  They .have no information. I would love to find out who built it and who drew up the plans

• Re: Seeking blueprints for Cayce Grammar School
          Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Stephanie,

Welcome to History Hub

Would you happen to have the address of the school that you are researching?

This is the response that I got from Cayce Elementary...515 Bulldog Blvd. Cayce, SC

Cayce Elementary sent a few seconds ago. You would be able to get that information by calling our district office at 803-796-4708.

Alice Lane

Research Volunteer

• Re: Seeking blueprints for Cayce Grammar School
            Shannon Kerner Adventurer

Dear Ms. Boles,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

There are several schools called Cayce Grammar School, Brookland-Cayce Grammar School #1, and Cayce Elementary (a currently active/enrolled school). The Cayce Grammar School closed in 1976 and was known as the Trainable Mentally Handicapped Center when the narration for this film was added in 1988. Today, the building stands abandoned.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Final Grant Reports, 1951 - 1981 in the General Records of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (Record Group 207) that includes 14 file units pertaining to the City of Cayce. The city’s plans and reports may include the Cayce Grammar School. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

For additional information, we suggest contacting the Cayce Historical Museum via their website or facebook page.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!