1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 4, 2020 10:02 AM by Rebecca Collier

Need help returning WWII scrapbook to family

Karen Metschuleit Newbie

I found a WWII scrapbook in a Kentucky thrift store, and I want to get it back to the family. It’s a Japanese style photo album. I’m a bookbinder so I repaired the physical damage but I haven’t been able to identify the serviceman who owned it. It contains a hand drawn portrait of a man in uniform labeled “Tokyo Station” but the rest of the writing, possibly the names of the artist and subject, are in Japanese. The man’s name might be Donald. Inside are clippings from Fort Benning, a Kentucky ration book, and other photos. Only one is labeled “The Briners 1950”. There are other photos of men on ships so perhaps this was someone in the Navy. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I could find out who he is, who his descendants are, and give this back to them?

• Re: Need help returning WWII scrapbook to family
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Metschuleit,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) does not provide services to locate living individuals.  The records in the custody of NARA were typically transferred from other Federal agencies at least 20-30 years after they were created and used.  Therefore, NARA records are not usually helpful in providing current information about individuals. Please review NARA’s Locating Veterans and Service Members web pages for some ideas.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful