1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 29, 2020 11:18 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking clarification about orders

Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Hello, I'm confused and need clarification. I had put in a request through the email system at College Park, MA Archives II, for some WW2 records. Received a response that said that they are not filling quotes for records because they do not have access to actual records to even give a quote. My question was they told me it cannot be filled and to resubmit at a later date. However, I have seen some areas within the National Archives that request will be put into a queue? Is this true and if so how come I was told to resubmit at a later date. Thanks

• Re: Seeking clarification about orders
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Schneider,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The difference is the requirement to have access to the records for page counts. Fixed-fee orders on NATF Forms 81 through NATF Forms 86, for the most part, do NOT require page counts. These orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once normal operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received.

For other records that you normally order by emailing the reference unit directly, these requests are not handled in the same way, given that not all have the same staffing and workload, and also various facilities are in different phases of NARA’s phased reopening plan. The unit you contacted has to count the pages of the documents manually and uses a NATF Form 72 for reproduction orders. These are NOT fixed-fee orders and cannot be placed in a queue. See our previous response to https://historyhub.history.gov/message/25530.

We hope this is helpful.