2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2020 11:22 AM by joan stachnik

    Seeking to correct my father's WWII  enlistment records


      Hello, My father's WWII enlistment records contains information about him that is 100% incorrect. How do I get this information corrected? Where do I start and who can help me? Thank you

        • Re: Seeking to correct my father's WWII  enlistment records
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

          Dear Ms. Chisholm,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The National Archives and Records Administration does not have the authority to make changes to personnel records.  Changes can only be made by the Department of Defense.  To correct a military personnel record, use DD Form 149 (Application for Correction of Military Record).  The DD-149 is available in pdf format from the Department of Defense at https://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd0149.pdf .  If you have additional questions about the form or the process, please write directly to the Army Review Boards Agency (ARBA), 251 18th Street South, Suite 385, Arlington, VA 22202-3531, which has jurisdiction in such matters. For assistance, please email army.arbainquiry@mail.mil.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          • Re: Seeking to correct my father's WWII  enlistment records
            joan stachnik Tracker

            Pam, may I ask what information is incorrect on your father's enlisment records?  I ask because I have my father's WWII separation papers; initially I thought his unit was incorrectly listed (I had always known what unit he served in, based on what he had said about the war and the papers he had saved). But after doing some research, I found that he had been transferred to a different unit just before shipping home. Apparently a common practice towards the end of the war. And something he never mentioned. I found the same on the separation papers for one of my uncles. His unit listed at the time of discharge was not where he spent most of his service. joan