1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 29, 2020 2:06 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking replacement medals

    Tracy B Horne Newbie

      I lost my dad 2 years ago, I found his DD-214 and saw that he had received medals from serving in the Army. How do I get those medals replaced? I got the military flag at his service and would very much like to have those medals as well. Can this form be mailed to a relative of a deceased veteran?

        • Re: Seeking replacement medals
          Thomas Richardson Tracker

          Dear Ms. Horne,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          For Air Force (including Army Air Corps), Army, and Navy personnel, NARA's National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate service department for issuance of the medals.  For requesting medals and awards, please use eVetRecs on NARA’s website at https://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/ or complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and send it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other." For information on how to request replacement medals, please refer to the NARA website here: Military Awards and Decorations.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. On October 5, NPRC entered Phase Two. The center currently is only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful.