1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 30, 2020 2:11 PM by Shannon Kerner

    Seeking military records of Walter Ditzler & Clifford Staves

    Kevin Peyatt Newbie

      I am looking for information during WWII for Naval Reservist Walter Ditzler (my grandfather) and AAF 3rd PRS Clifford Staves (wife's grandfather).

        • Re: Seeking military records of Walter Ditzler & Clifford Staves
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

          Dear Mr. Peyatt,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request copies of their Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 for each and mail them to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. On October 5, NPRC entered Phase Two. The center currently is only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!