1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 29, 2020 2:04 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking Distinguished Flying Cross records for 1LT Oral Miller

    John Freeman Newbie

      Hello, I am performing some research for my institution and came across a document claiming that 1st Lt Oral D. Miller received the Distinguished Flying Cross in World War II.  He was a member of the 248th Field Artillery Battalion, but I can not find his name on any of the recipient lists.  Is there anywhere that I could look for information about this citation?

        • Re: Seeking Distinguished Flying Cross records for 1LT Oral Miller
          Thomas Richardson Navigator

          Dear Mr. Freeman,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Air Force Award Cards, 1942-1963 in the Records of the National Archives and Records Administration (Record Group 64) that includes a segment Air Force Award Cards [Distinguished Flying Cross]: Miller, Jack - Moertle, Lawrence but were unable to locate a card for 1st Lieutenant Oral D. Miller. Since he was a member of a field artillery unit, he most likely would have been flying a spotter plane. These were used to conduct aerial reconnaissance and locate suitable enemy targets. The Air Force Award Cards do not include aerial units attached to ground forces.


          We also located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General’s Office (Record Group 407) that may include records of the 248th Field Artillery Battalion. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          In addition, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC currently is only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

          1 person found this helpful