1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 3, 2020 1:54 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking Correspondence from Harewood to McDougall Hospital

L. Andrews Newbie

Where would I find medical director office correspondence from the Civil War? I am looking for a particular document that is dated January 16, 1865. It is to Chas. McDougall and discusses the transfer of a patient from Harewood Hospital to McDougall hospital at Ft. Schuyler in NYC. I am particularly interested in this document because there looks like there is a photo attached to it. I have a very bad photocopy of this document that was my Grandmother's and have no clue where to find the original to get a clear picture of it. I am interested in the photo that is attached

.Medical Director's Office Correspondence- 1865

• Re: Seeking Correspondence from Harewood to McDougall Hospital
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Andrews,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Field Records of Hospitals, 1821 - 1912; Hospital Records, ca. 1860 - ca. 1914; Records of Civil War Hospital Transfers, 1861 - 1865 and Registers of Patients in Hospitals, ca. 1860 - ca. 1919 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) that may have a copy of this document. If you are researching a specific soldier, you also may be interested in his service, pension, and carded medical records. This information might be in one of several series based on whether he was Regular Army or a Volunteer, and whether he was an officer or enlisted.  For more information about these and other 19th Century military records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov. When you email them, please provide as much information as possible about the soldier you are researching.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!