6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2020 1:40 PM by Patty Kennedy-Gray

Seeking whether Frank Kennedy served in WWI

Patty Kennedy-Gray Newbie

Hello.  I have my grandfather's WWI induction papers, dated August 30, 1918, and he was ordered to report to the local board, #5 Allegheny Co. Municipal Building in Carrick, Pa., on September 4, 1918.  His name is Frank S. Kennedy.  I am wondering if this meant he would actually have

been sent to a boot camp maybe?  I know the war ended in November, but would these papers mean he actually went off to camp, and if so, how would I find any information on where this would have been or anything about him there?  Thank you in advance.

• Re: Seeking whether Frank Kennedy served in WWI
          Grace Yuhasz Adventurer

It would help to have more info to be able to make sure we are looking for the correct Frank S. Kennedy.

Do you know where and when he was born?  Also, what state he would have lived in at the time?  Is there an Serial Number somewhere on the document you have (probably 7 digits long)?

Thank you.

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking whether Frank Kennedy served in WWI
            Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Kennedy-Gray,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series titled Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 in the Records of the Selective Service System (World War I) (Record Group 163) that include a card for Frank Stilley Kennedy, born 2 November 1896. We are attaching a copy of the card to the end of the reply. We also located the Classification Lists, 1917 - 1918 in Record Group 163 showing movement of each World War I draft registrant through the induction process. The records cover every state within the United States. Each entry shows the registrants' order number, name, race, serial number, classification, physical examination information, date to report for military duty and entrainment to the mobilization camp, and the date he was accepted, rejected, discharged, or reported delinquent. These records are not available online. For more information, please contact the National Archives at Atlanta (RE-AT) at atlanta.archives@nara.gov.

Next. we located the Lists of Inductees, 1917 - 1918 for the Pennsylvania State Headquarters of the Selective Service System in Record Group 163 that contains the names of World War I inductees, their serial numbers, their order numbers, the names of the mobilization camps to which they were to report, and the times they were to report. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Philadelphia (RE-PA) at philadelphia.archives@nara.gov.

If the above listed records indicate that he served in the Army, you may wish to request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form which you do not know, you may leave it blank or provide estimates, such as writing “World War I” for dates of service. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-AT at RE-PA. Also, the NPRC currently is only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful