1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 29, 2020 1:33 PM by Shannon Kerner

Seeking work dates for my mother who worked for DOD

Robin Daniels Newbie

I believe my mother worked in the Federal Government with the DOD as a civilian between 1948 and 1954 in Washington.  As I try to prepare her timeline, this would help me pinpoint her arrival in Washington, DC.

• Re: Seeking work dates for my mother who worked for DOD
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

Dear Robin Daniels,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his/her Official Personnel File (OPF). OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity since 1952 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center. Written requests may be mailed or faxed to National Personnel Records Center Annex, 1411 Boulder Boulevard, Valmeyer, IL 62295. Please include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of the employing Federal agency, and beginning and ending dates of Federal service. Certain information in the OPF may not be available to the general public without the written consent of the individual. For more information, please check their website at https://www.archives.gov/personnel-records-center/civilian-non-archival.

NARA has closed the Civilian Personnel Records Center (CPR) in Valmeyer, IL, effective immediately and until further notice. The local jurisdiction where CPR is located (Monroe County, IL) reported public health metrics that exceeded NARA’s targets for safe operation of our facilities. CPR will remain closed until local public health conditions improve. During the closure, CPR will maintain minimal staffing levels to support emergency reference requests only. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!