1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 29, 2020 12:33 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking roster of VA-115 Squadron assigned to USS Midway

    noel hartman Newbie

      I want to know how to prove I was on the USS Midway for bluewater in 1972-1973. I believe I am entitled to have Vietnam service as I was attached to VA115 Squadron but my DD-214 does not show anything.

        • Re: Seeking roster of VA-115 Squadron assigned to USS Midway
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Hartman,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          While your DD-214 may not list the assignment, records relating to the assignment should be in your full Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men and officers of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1957 and prior to January 31, 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Veterans may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Under the section for items you are requesting, check “Other” and write that you want your entire file OMPF. You may also be interested in requesting your medical record, which you can do so in the same order. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Also, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located Personnel Diaries and Muster Rolls, 1/1/1972 - 1/31/1983 in the records of the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that should include records for the squadron. Records for 1972 through 1973 should list both enlisted personnel and officers. Because of the US Navy’s use of social security numbers as service numbers during this time period, there may be information protected under the Privacy Act of 1974. Therefore, these must be reviewed under the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act prior to being released. For more information about requesting these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC currently is only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          You may also be interested in https://www.history.navy.mil/content/dam/nhhc/research/publications/1910/Part5.pdf - Chapter 31 (within this section on Page 47 of the PDF and page 414 of the book) is on Carrier and Squadron Deployments to Vietnam (1964-1975).


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          [Information provided by Nate Patch, Subject Matter Expert]