2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2020 11:54 AM by Timothy Athan

Seeking records about WWI Memorial in Ann Arbor, Michigan

Timothy Athan Newbie

In Ann Arbor, there is a grove of redbud trees that has been designated as a WWI memorial.  I am having trouble finding the story of this memorial.

• Re: Seeking records about WWI Memorial in Ann Arbor, Michigan
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Athan,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

According to the website Waymarking, the WWI Memorial Redbud Grove - Ann Arbor, Michigan was funded by the Elizabeth R. Dean Fund. Information about the fund is available on the website of the City of Ann Arbor at Elizabeth Dean Trust Fund. We suggest that you contact the City of Ann Arbor for further information.  You also may wish to contact local newspapers and news stations as they may have stories about it in their back issues.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

• Re: Seeking records about WWI Memorial in Ann Arbor, Michigan
              Timothy Athan Newbie

Thank you for your reply!

I am new to History Hub.  Perhaps I should have elaborated all of the dead-ends I've pursued on this question.

Yes, the Elizabeth Dean Trust Fund now maintains the grove.  This fund, though, was created long after the memorial was created by a different entity, the A.C. Eastabrook Relief Corps.  That entity is long gone; it was apparently founded in the wake of the Civil War.  The Dean Fund has a focus upon trees, and they don't have information about the founding of the memorial grove.

I find very little about the A.C. Eastabrook Relief Corps.

I've tried the city archives, and I've contacted local veterans groups, without making progress.

About all I have is an article -- thanks to the Ann Arbor library -- from 1959 which describes bronze memorial plates that were being vandalized.  The article mentions that memorial trees were also planted at Ann Arbor's Almindinger park -- though today there is no marker there.  The bronze plates are gone too.  There are bronze WWI memorial plates at Washtenong cemetery -- perhaps they were moved there.

I'd welcome any ideas.